I love having the time to embark on big craft projects. So when I got the chance to plan a floral surprise birthday party, I jumped on Pinterest for some inspiration. The glitter jars I made were so simple, while being somewhat time consuming. But they were so pretty with colourful flowers in them and made for the perfect giveaway present too!
I absolutely love glitter. My husband was less enthusiastic and just shook his head and said ‘You’ve got glitter on your face!’. This only made me less inclined to go and wash my face. You can never have too much sparkle. Be warned though, we had gold glitter absolutely everywhere.
What you need:
– Mod podge gloss
– Masking tape
What to do:
– Make sure the jars are washed with soapy water, clean and dried thoroughly.
– Put masking tape to make sure you have a nice and even cut off point in the area where you apply the glue.
– Apply a thin layer of mode podge and then sprinkle glitter on top. Give the bottle a shake to get rid of excess glitter.
– Leave to dry for at least 2 hours. I left them overnight.
– Apply another thin layer of mod lodge over the glitter. This is to seal the glitter so that it doesn’t go everywhere. The mod lodge dries clear so don’t worry about the initial white colour.
– I decorated with red and purple ribbons. You could do the whole bottle too or use different coloured glitter.
The surprise party turned out to be a success. I spent two weeks before the party making the glitter jars. The night before was spent on making the cakes. I made a naked floral cake with a vanilla french buttercream, and since I had some buttercream left over, I also made some vanilla cupcakes. Yum.